Thursday, December 13, 2007

Lay Theologians

I am a professional theologian. That is, I have extensive training and study which have established a wide body of theological ideas and findings which enrich my spiritual journey, usually giving me direction for life decisions.

Lay theologians ordinarily do not have that kind of educational background unless, much later in life than us professionals, they choose to attend seminary for the purpose of learning and not just making a living.

It has been my privilege to bump into four lay theologians over the last year. Dee Lambert I’ve known for over 30 years and she is now helping two little churches keep going by being their lay speaker. I’ve posted one of her poems on my blog. See October 26 below for it.

Barbara Wendland I’ve known about fifteen years and she continues to actively stir up the denomination not only in her part of the world (Texas) but reaches many people around the country through her newsletter (www.connectionsonline.org).

Art Davis, my poet friend, has always been insightful but he recently showed me an essay in which he argues that God may be tired of creating new earths which seem all to end in environmental or military catastrophe. Our earth is number 7. His closing words are “Will any survivors report to Me? PLEASE. UFOs up to family-size are ready!” At least God is willing to try again, Art says.

Natala Orobello teaches English at a local college and has published her first book, DESTINED FOR GREATNESS (available through AMAZON.COM). It is one of five she has finished. When asked why she chose this one to be published first, she answered, “God told me.” When you read it, you can see why.

I read her book as I read other novels, a little bit at a time, usually just before bed. That works for novels just fine. But when I finished, I found I had to go back, not for plot points or character names, but for insights which she slips in all through the book.

The format is “novella” but the purpose is “spiritual journey.”

She does not preach. But she illustrates her main proposition that God intends greatness for everyone but each one of us makes choices which even to God, come “as a surprise to us!”

Professor Orobello was born in Sicily and was raised in the Roman Catholic Church. The standard theology she heard from the priests left many questions for her which usually, when answered at all by the priests, were called “mysteries.” She wasn’t satisfied with that and has thought through what her experience and educational background provided as substantive answers. DESTINED FOR GREATNESS does not trace her spiritual journey but is more the result of it, with hints of how she struggled to get there.

Her book deserves to be read as part of one’s devotional practices. But it is not didactic. You will be tempted to keep on reading at the close of each of her brief chapters.

What I like the most about a lay theologian is the freedom to explore thoughts which those of us with traditional theological training hesitate to do. Are the results of their explorations going to become mileposts in humankind’s spiritual journey? Who knows? Quite possibly!

To me, they are a sign that God continues to converse with us and those who hear are sharing their thoughts in creative ways.

No comments: