Monday, February 4, 2008

Little Things

Anyone watching the national political scene is aware that policy decisions made quietly in some corner of the administration and not widely reported by the media often lead to some serious consequences.

Both political parties have moments of such activities. But anyone who knows me and reads my blog realizes I am more likely to notice those from Republican administrations. You must also realize that I am just as unhappy about Democrats who make bad decisions and do things that harm the common good. None of those made my listing for today, though you will find some further back in my blog.

The “O” rings were frozen and the gases in the solid fuel tanks leaked and ignited and then exploded. It was the day before Ronald Reagan was to give his State of the Union address during which he was going to speak with Christie McAuliffe, the first teacher in space. He really wanted that moment for his speech so postponing it would have been a major disappointment to him. He didn’t give his speech as planned, postponing it after the death of the astronauts in the space shuttle, including Ms. McAuliffe.

President Reagan also worked hard to change the policies of the Federal Transportation Administration so that trucking companies could put trailers on our highways carrying 80,000 pounds rather than 72,000 pounds, something that the engineers designing and building highways and bridges had never envisioned. His policy was accepted and the roads and bridges began to take an extra beating. One inch connector plates such as those on the I-35W bridge in Minneapolis probably weren’t enough for that additional stress.

George W. Bush told audiences all over the country that the best way to grow the Republican Party was to enlarge the pool of home owners in the United States. Free money started showing up in lending companies that allowed people with no financial strength to buy homes . . . starting at low interest. These loans became known as “sub-prime lending.”

Am I the only one who noticed such little things? Or am I wrong about the facts and possible connections I’ve picked up from here and there?

If I’m right, shouldn’t we all be watching the little things?

1 comment:

DeeatCaz said...

I've been lax about reading these, but just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. I keep wondering when Reagan became the legend he seems to be today. I remember a president who often seemed out of it, who broke the air controller's union, who was responsible for the Iran/Contra scandal and who was the first to introduce "trickle down economics, which unfortunately began the current abyss between the rich and the poor in this country. I think some of us just have better memories, Jerry.