Friday, July 8, 2022

"Red Flag" Ministry

 What if we divided up our districts as United Methodists and established parish lines out to the next UM church in all directions. We would not use those lines as restrictive to define our pastoral "kingdoms" but as defining for whom we were responsible on at least one point: who might be a potential shooter.  

I do not think that John Wesley had that in mind when he admonished his preachers to visit from house to house. But I would not be surprised if he was concerned that mentally ill or otherwise vulnerable people were going unnoticed and therefore unserved by the community resources, of which the church is one.

In all of the hundreds of cases, especially since the assault weapons ban was allowed to expire, no shooter or his family has been reported to have a pastor or church involved in their lives.

The Jehovah's Witnesses who actually do visit house to house do not go beyond trying to encourage people to join their association. I know. I've mentioned to them when they visit me that they are doing a unique thing and could be bearers of lists of resources counties and communities offer. They turn glassy-eyed when I ask them about that.

So, my fellow UM pastors. What do you think? Can we carry on a "red flag" ministry that just might save a ton of lives?

No comments: