Friday, April 27, 2007

VT Tragedy

I’ve been stewing about what would have happened if someone had a gun the day Cho came shooting. The fantasy is that Cho would have been shot dead and the nightmare would have come to an earlier end.

Here in Florida, we now have a law that allows people to carry guns hidden on their person or in their cars. A story circulating when the bill first passed was that a gun owner shot a carjacker in the middle of the heist.

I wonder if our former governor carries a gun. I wonder if his brother, the President, carries a gun when he’s in Florida.

Funny thing, I haven’t heard another news story about self-protection like the carjacker faced nor have I heard statistics showing carjacking is down.

It seems to me that with so many hidden guns around, road rage could easily turn into a gun range. Not everyone is as sophisticated in preparing to murder as Cho was. We have a lot of folks who are ready to shoot off their mouths and their guns on a moment’s notice!

From what the FBI and psychologists say who’ve studied murderers like Cho, they study the tactics of other mass murderers and try to improve upon them. There is an element of COMPETITION involved in their motivation.

What would most likely happen in a future situation is that the murderer would take into account the possibility of a gun-toting student or teacher and come prepared. In the same way he or she could pick up clips with dozens of bullets in them, s/he could buy body armor, just as a bank robber did in California a couple years ago, or could plan to go out in a different kind of “blaze of glory.”

Oh my! How could I have become so political about this?

1 comment:

DeeatCaz said...

Here in Cazenovia, I know that one man used his own body to keep others from being killed. Knowing what we know about John Klang, I don't believe he could have shot a child, even one who threatned him. That is also an issue; a lot of people do not have the stomach to kill another human being.