Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"Siesta Dreams" - a poem by Art Davis

With Art's permission, I publish here one of his delightful poems:

"Siesta Dreams"
While on these lazy, hot and humid afternoons I snooze
And once asleep, my Walter Mitty complex courts the Muse.
Solzhenitsyn raves about my poetry; it's so nice!
With Bush, Chirac and Putin crave political advice.
I've urge to storm the lofty citadel of Pulitzer,
Brusquely stopped by surly surrogates suggesting, "Cool it, sir!"
Yes - in my mind, I know, if given chance I'd show 'em,
If they'd allow me to recite for them my latest poem.
Or - team me up with Ginger Rogers. I say, "What a pair!"
Doing intricate routines, so eat your heart out, Fred Astaire!
Or, playing the piano as dear Mother used to do,
Dazzling all at Carnegie Hall, playing "Rhapsody in Blue."
On the operatic stage, I know they'd breathless watch me
And listen to my tear-voiced presentation of Paggliaci. . . .
I'd make them soon forget the one and only Pavotatti
As they listened to my dulcet tone-enraptured "fa-sol-la-ti!"
I would design, as Architect, tall buildings touching star,
Or put to canvas beauty such as found in a Renoir.
Alas, all such pleasant dreams do surely fade away.
The dreams now done, I waken to reality of day.
Arthur H. Davis
8/28/07 (based on a poem of 4/21/93)
Copyright

No comments: