Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Conservadems

I believe in bi-partisanship. I'd love to think I have the best ideas but I learned a long time ago that Me and Mine only see part of what is going on. Me and Mine can't do it alone.

But then, if You and Yours won't consider helping unless you can get stuff for yourself, which is what President Obama ran into with the Republicans on the Stimulus Package, maybe someone else saw that and want in on the payoff.

I could sit here and say that the Blue Dog Democrats are trying to serve their conservative constituencies in order to keep their own election base firm and behind them. That I could understand.

But somehow the payoff of that only keeps them in the game. To really become a player, they have to leverage their vote to where it has a much higher payoff for them.

They can affect their standing in a committee or in a change to a better committee. They can get more for their district/state as a compromise for their vote than if they are simply good soldiers.

Why should we be surprised? Change comes hard.

So, let your Congress members know you are watching and interested and want them to put the country first.

I don't mind a serious difference of opinion and some alternatives that may sound contrary but are based on reality.

I do mind political leveraging as much as I hate it in finances or personal relationships.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bi-partisan? You, my friend are as far from bi-partisan as anybody could possibly be. Either stick to a side or drop the name-calling and mud-slinging.

Also, you should probably read the "card check" bill before you send a letter to the editor. The EFCA does not, in any way, provide for secret ballots. You are retired and this doesn't effect you. However, if you must comment, make sure you know what you're talking about.

I will be more than happy to forward you a draft of the bill since apparently you haven't read it.

Lastly, brush up on your grammar, it's horrible.