Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Drinking and Driving

The writers' group with whom I meet amaze me.

Art Davis had hard time falling asleep the other night. So he worked out the following 5-7-5 lines:

"Haiku for Drinkers and Drivers of Ballistic Missiles"

Inebriation
Whirling metal, glass and flesh.
Addiction conquered.

S. U. V. bullies,
brutally mauling traffic,
Tin dinosaurs.

S. U. V. bullies,
usurping the right of way
H. P. beats I. Q.

Inebriation.
Faster, I'm okay, faster!
Death wins another.

Blood content point 4?
No designated driver?
Call the next of kin...

Whas amatter-huh?
Now wha may shoe thimk I'm drunk?
What whi' line, Cappen?

All I had was three!
Why are all of my friends here?
Please don't close the lid!

Drinking's bloodshot eyes.
Oh! Was that last signal red?
Yes-your last signal!

One more fortha road...
Speed -- mother of arrests!
Sirens and blinkers!

(Copyright, June 5, 2007 -- Arthur H. Davis)
Printed with permission

No comments: