Sunday, June 3, 2007

Speaking to power

One of my projects as a retired clergy is to provide information and help to bishops of our denomination. The letters are about a type-written page so as not to discourage their attention. And the letters are monthly.

As with this blog, my stuff is unsolicited and the bishops, like you, if they choose to read it get the benefit of my wisdom such as it is.

I rarely get a reply. They are busy and I am not expecting to enter into correspondence of any depth with any of them even though some of them need a whole new way to operate or view things. Once in awhile, I do get a response that seeks more information. But that usually ends with my response and I do not hear again from that bishop.

I have gotten interesting comments and even extended correspondence with some retired bishops. They seem to appreciate what I'd been writing all those years (1988 to the present). Mostly they were non-specific about what they liked. I'm sure they didn't always appreciate some advice that had to be uninformed since I have never been a bishop.

The insight I offer is from having seen some of the poorest decisions and actions bishops have made, mostly in personnel matters. Some of those have cost the denomination huge sums of money. But we have this thing about a pecking order in which there is only pecking down and pecking up is not allowed. The higher in the pecking order, the less accountability. And the less the willingness to listen to anyone "below" them, which is where I am.

I figure if I give good ideas and advice, they will eventually come to see I was right. By then, someone of stature will realize it and say it as if it was his or her idea. Cool! I don't care! Just so they learn and do better next time.

May this note be an encouragement to Michael Moore and to others who speak truth to power.

No comments: