Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Great blogs

I'm not a student of the blogosphere so I don't spend a lot of time on it. But I find www.crooksandliars.com so comprehensive and the writers he quotes as well as his own comments covering the concerns I have far better than I can, mostly.

Hence, I'm not posting as often.

But, to the best of my knowledge, so far no one has wondered why there has been no call to drop speed limits on the highways. Drove us nuts in the 1970s but Jimmy Carter slowed us down and cut our gasoline consumption twenty percent during that brief interlude. That brought down gas prices and shook the Middle East Oil cartel. At least, that's what my memory tells me thirty five years after the fact!

Corrections welcome.

Also I am not hearing anyone give the criteria for how to help the Democrats come up with a candidate the Republicans can beat. Right after the 2004 elections, someone listed those criteria: short, ugly, from the House or Senate, from the north east, and ambitious.

Except for the short, the Dems picked Kerry who fit the criteria well. The reason those from Congress are vulnerable is because they can be so easily shown to flip flop. Every legislator is caught a dozen times over a term voting for and against the same legislation for legitimate reasons that a 30 second political ad never could explain.

"Ambitious" led Kerry to accept ten million dollars from military/industrial complex folks at a crucial time when his campaign was going broke. That money put life back into his campaign. Interestingly, military/industrial complex donors put ten times as much into the Bush campaign. But that gift to Kerry was the Republicans' best political contribution of that election.

Corrections welcome.

Finally, I am waiting for someone to compare our era (since Ronald Reagan was elected through the present) as another "know nothing" era in American history. Imagine, "Inherit the Wind" is having a successful comeback on Broadway. Maybe "The Crucible" is next . . . .

No comments: