Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Our other poet

As I said, the writers' group with whom I meet amazes me. I'd love for you to hear the vignettes of Sid Glaser's life. We are pounding on him to finish his book. Then you'll hear about it here and how to get a copy.

Another member writes graphic poetry. I don't have the faintest idea how to put it on line here. Oh yes, he did one that might work:

I
II
III
IV
FIVE

Maybe someday I'll learn how to get the formatting the way I want it to work! That is not how it is supposed to look. Line up the first "I" in each line above the "I" in "FIVE." If you do, you have a better chance to see the fun in what he did.

He came to our session yesterday with a poem about one of his favorite characters, Poem, an anthropomorphized image. He said it was a strange dream to him. But those of us in people-serving professions may feel it is not at all a strange set of images. See what you think.

"At the Scene of Poem's Ordination"

A trireme in rain
In front oif a traffic light stuck on red
Five miles west of the harbor,
Night, wilting almost dungaree-bewildered,
Into the final innocence of the previous Wednesday,
money changing hands in the dark truth
Poem's ordination had reached
But not entered.
Minstrels? Only in the share-cropped
Outskirts of the brunette's chatter, disonant,
Ignored.

(Bob Grumman, copyright June 11, 2007)
Printed with permission

No comments: