Saturday, October 6, 2007

Dick Selchert

My cousin died since the last World Series. He and I were born three months apart and, from seventh grade through high school, were in classes together and played on intramural sports teams together.

In the days before the Braves moved from Boston to Milwaukee, we were both Cub fans Growing up just outside of Milwaukee, my allegiance switched the moment Joe Adcock hit the homer that drove in Billy Bruton with the winning run in the home opener. Dick's, however, stayed with the Cubs even when they traded Andy Pafko to the Braves.

Dick stuck by the Cubs through the eras of Phil Cavaretta, Hank Sauer, Ernie Banks, all the way up to Kerry Woods and beyond.

The cockles of my heart were warmed by Warren Spahn, Eddie Matthews, Johnny Logan, Henry Aaron, and all the other Braves that got into the playoffs and World Series while I was young. When the Braves moved to Atlanta, I tried to be a fan of the Brewers and saw a number of their games. I enjoyed Harvey's Wallbangers, especially Gorman Thomas, and the World Series games they got to play.

As I've gotten older, I've lost track of Milwaukee major league baseball.

But Dick stayed faithful to the Cubbies through thick and thin (mostly thin) to his dying day.

I saw in the local paper (the Charlotte Sun-Herald, Port Charlotte, FL) that the Cubs are in the playoffs.

I'd like to think he has great seats from which to watch his beloved Cubs and cheer them on to the World Series.

No comments: