Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Impeachng the President and VP

I just got a note urging me to call Speaker Pelosi’s office to accept impeachment of President Bush and Vice President Cheney.

I was ready to have him impeached after FAHRENHEIT 9/11 and all the books that came out about him his first term. It is tempting to call and add my voice to the others she will receive.

But knowing how long fair legal processes take, I don’t see how it will be possible without using up precious time to try to turn the country around as much as possible now that the Democrats have the majorities in Congress.

So I have an idea: I expect that the President will veto everything the Democrats want to undo. I think the Democrats should push legislation that they need to pass. I think they need to consult with the Republicans on as much of it as possible to try for bi-partisan support. When the President vetoes those key bills, then I think the public will tolerate impeachment proceedings. The President may succeed in stringing out his term to its end but to have him leave office while facing impeachment charges would be meaningful to those of us who believe he has indeed violated his trust with the American people and violated the Constitution.

I would love to see the Vice President impeached now because he has earned it! But if the intent of my strategy times out, that would not make any difference.

But I can imagine a scenario where the President, as Richard Nixon did, resigns, leaving us with V. P. Cheney.

Hmmm. What do you think?

No comments: