Sunday, May 6, 2007

The right problems

I just sat through listening to Newt Gingrich on "Face the Nation" with Bob Schieffer. Gingrich is an extraordinarily bright man. But some how I felt like he was not talking about the right problems.

He gave lip service to health care and to disagreeing with President Bush. But I could not get too interested in some of his issues. In fact, I can't even tell you what his issues are!

But when he was through, I realized he does not appear to want to talk about the same issues that progressives want to discuss.

For example, he ignored the huge debt the war has engendered. He didn't address our standing in the world because of the arrogance and ignorance of the current administration's policies which he admits to criticizing.

More important, he did not address two other issues which I do not hear being addressed by anyone among the candidates. Our empire - protection of our business interests all over the world by use of military bases still open around the former Soviet Union; and our lack of policy on Israeli/Palestinian issues and copying of Israeli tactics in the Middle East (torture and guns).

What can any newsman do with ten minutes with such vast areas of concern, with so many problems? (Do what Jon Stewart does and ask incisive questions?)

Until we can articulate all the problems facing us, not letting any of them be sacred cows, and prioritize them, we will continue talking past each other and trying to play to our respective bases' priorities rather than try to resolve the most important national priorities.

Real students and scholars of the issues may already have done this surfacing, articulating, and prioritizing of problems and I missed it. So let me know and I'll pass it on!

No comments: